Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Ethical Dilemma

Yes, I have come across one already. I have a friend in a crappy situation. At the beginning of the crappy situation I told her I would agree to be interviewed by a certain government agency. Since that time she has engaged in some activity that is pretty inappropriate given the situation and that I know the government agents will question me about.

I have a problem with lying to them, but if I am questioned and tell the truth it will ruin my friend’s case (as an FYI this has nothing to do with anything actually illegal in case this seems like that sort of thing). So my choices are:

a) Refuse to the interview, risk being legally forced to by my friend’s attorney, thus implicating her in behavior/actions that kill her point.

b) Go on the interview; tell the truth, screw over friend.

My other problem is I have some moral disgust over Friend’s behavior, I do not support it all and wish she would stop acting the way she is. She seems to think that I will just say whatever is best for her. Her comments include the fact that they are sure to believe a law student, but there must be some sort of conduct I should be holding myself to at this point.

Sigh, I have a feeling this isn’t going to work out without me telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth to the detriment of my friend. Anyone have an opinion on this one?

FY-

3 Comments:

Blogger josh said...

i would say to do the interview, particularly since she participated in some of the activities since she asked you. plus, she asked you.

some people get what they deserve. if she wanted to lie, she shouldnt have asked you. she put you in a tough spot, and you gotta look out for you first.

11:19 AM  
Blogger josh said...

i would say to do the interview, particularly since she participated in some of the activities since she asked you. plus, she asked you.

some people get what they deserve. if she wanted to lie, she shouldnt have asked you. she put you in a tough spot, and you gotta look out for you first.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Jed Sorokin-Altmann said...

You are not responsible for the consequences of any of this. Your friend asked you to be interviewed, and it is unfair for her to suggest that you do anything but tell the truth.

The moral disgust really does not enter into it--you have an ethical responsibilty to tell the truth. As a law student, even one on hiatus, you simply CANNOT lie.

Your best solution might be to tell her that as a law student, you cannot lie, and that you are willing to be interviewed but that she should know that if asked about X, you will answer truthfully. If she wants you to be interviewed after that, fine. If not, fine.

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
/body>