Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Bad Sunflower

I wanted to inform everyone that the HOA that I love under is now even more insane then I had previously thought (and believe me I think these nutbags are thoroughly psychotic). What happened today is just…well… I cannot use words to describe it.

Background: Me and Mr. First Year planted all types of things in our very first backyard (maybe some of you remember my veggies and our drawn out battle against our lawn?). Around the perimeter of my yard (inside the small fence the HOA presumably put up) we planted sunflowers. The giant variety, though we crowed them too close together to prevent them from growing to their 16-20 foot potential. So, from about July until this day (we planted in rotations so we’d have them until the frost) there had been a border of 5-9 foot sunflowers around our yard. Big, bright, happy looking yellow sunflowers. The heads are about 1.5 feet big and have tons of seeds (we have given pounds away, the birds love them). We love them, the neighbors and especially their children love them, they are simply big happy looking sunny flowers.

Today: At my doorstep were two women from the HOA’s “landscaping” committee (I have to note, only about 10 our about 800 units have backyards, though the grounds of the complex are pretty large, our yard cant be seen from anywhere in the complex or the street because it backs to dense trees about 10 feet wide and is blocked by the actual building we live in from the view of anyone in the complex except for the neighbors who hate the HOA and love our sunflowers.).

These women told me that they had “tolerated my sunflowers long enough, it is time for action to be taken.” That’s right, they find it insane and ridiculous that my sunflowers stand to this day, in October (it was 80 degrees out today). Its time for them to come down and for me to put more fall appropriate landscaping out in my yard. I told them calmly that I had mums, squash, and pumpkins for the season, but my flowers were pretty and bothered no one.

Needless to say they huffed off, muttering threats of a citation. But I have to wonder, what the fuck is wrong with these people. Only 1 other unit can see my sunflowers, there is no one above me, below me, whatever, and the unit that could potentially be bothered by my season inappropriate flower display is not. I am speechless, I am shocked. Had I not been a long time reader of Wide Lawns I would not believe the current HOA nightmare I am living under.

Someone, please… am I insane? Is my sunflowery show figuratively smacking the face of the incumbent season?

HOA outlaw… First Year-

6 Comments:

Blogger Nut's mom said...

they were pissy about sunflowers? in the fall? OK, when I see a sunflower in the fall I think of harvest which makes me think of thanksgiving... what the hell are their problems??

6:31 PM  
Blogger Wide Lawns said...

Yeah, no. You could NEVER have sunflowers in Wide Lawns. They are on the forbidden planting list. Jeez, don't you know - sunflowers are EVIL BAD PLANTS!!!! They must be eradicated!!

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe if you arranged the sunflowers as a phallic symbol, the HOA goons would be even more upset. Take pictures though just so you can show us (of the flowers AND the HOA members).

7:59 PM  
Blogger Save Sheila said...

HOAs are just nuts. We (fortunately) don't have one, but we do have very restrictive covenants. Keep the flowers. If they want to give you a citation, they have too much free time and should go to law school to cure that problem.

4:51 AM  
Blogger LawNut said...

What a bunch of wet blankies! Who doesn't love a sunflower? And you know, I'd love to see what their "citation" would actually be worded like - "violation of fall flower requirements"?? What a bunch of asshats.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Evil HR Lady said...

Our first house had a HOA. When we went to settlement to buy the darn thing, the previous owners said, "oh, by the way, the yard isn't in compliance. You'll have to go to lawn court." Really.

When we moved we looked for a neighborhood without a HOA.

Good luck!

5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
/body>