Thursday, October 12, 2006

OK, I have been putting off talking about this topic for awhile because I didn’t want to be branded insensitive, or a deaf-hater. But here is the thing; I don’t discriminate against the deaf so I must write this post. You see, if these students weren’t deaf I would have been all over this immediately, but I was treating them differently because they were deaf (well treating them nicer, but still differently). So freak ass protesters at Gallaudet University…. What the fuck is wrong with you?

For my readers outside of DC, you might not know what I am talking about. The “quick” story is that the students at Gallaudet (a college for the deaf) are enraged because of the selection (and the selection process) of the new president of their university. They are pissed, they don’t want her to be president. At first they camped out in tents on campus, then they overtook the main classroom building and locked it down, preventing their sane classmates from getting the education they had paid for.

At first I thought their problem with the president elect stemmed from her not being “deaf enough”, as she didn’t learn sign language until she was 23, therefore not being deaf in the “right” way. But apparently there is a deeper reason. They just think she’s plain incompetent and the selection process was tainted.

Fernandes has said some people do not consider her "deaf enough" to be president. She was born deaf but grew up speaking and did not learn American Sign Language until she was 23. Those who are against her presidency, however, say she is an unsuitable choice for other reasons.”


From this story (http://www.examiner.com/a-337835~Students_blockade_campus_as_protests_escalate.html)

They are PISSED!!!

Protests over the next president at Gallaudet University intensified yesterday when the football team decided after midnight to join the demonstrations by blocking the campus gates, shutting down the school for the deaf”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/11/AR2006101100317.html

Apparently the “real” problem these students have is that they feel that the new president will destroy the “good will” that deaf people have built in the USA and the World. That’s right they are worried that her being elected will make people think differently or poorly because of the president of a college for deaf people.

I have this to say to the student protestors that think that an incompetent president can ruin the public perception of you, what the hell do you think what you are doing in response (rioting, locking down buildings, preventing people from going to school and work, and causing havoc) are doing to the public perception of your college? See I don’t care one way or another who the president of your deaf university is, I don’t care if she was picked over someone more qualified, I don’t care if she speaks (and you didn’t or couldn’t learn too) and didn’t learn to sign until she was 23. But what DOES make your community look bad is acting like a bunch of animals, blocking students who want to learn from their class rooms, blocking people who want to work (perhaps on an hourly basis, therefore hurting their livelihood) from getting there.

Furthermore, I think we need to have a little chat about University presidents, the selection process for them, and their general competence. Listen, I went to undergraduate school at a college where the president built a giant golden pillar in a giant glass hall (a display case for the pillar perhaps?) costing the students millions, all the while raising printing fees to 7 cents and 10 cents a page. Seriously, he was incompetent. I am less sure there was a selection process then you are. You know what to do? Bitch about it, whine about, graduate and then refuse to give the school money for screwing you over. Or…DEAL with it.

Ahhh. Thank you :) First Year-

2 Comments:

Blogger josh said...

wait, deaf people have goodwill in this country? i never heard that!

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

as a very hard of hearing woman, I have to agree with you. bet you didn't see that coming did you? I lost my hearing in my late teens. does this make me any less part of the community? however, they are trying to repeat the fact that they were able to chose the president during the last time it came up (however, in that moment, they wanted to put a hearing person in the job.) I can usnderstand that kind of protesting.

OK... I have more to say but I really need sleep. Will rant more later.

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
/body>