Monday, February 20, 2006

Life Needs a Rewind Button

This weekend went by way too fast. I didn't get as much work done as I'd wanted to, but thats what happens sometimes. I still had a great weekend, a good paper consult, and a good meal at the end of it.

Which brings me to Sunday night at a certain Tapas restuarant. This was our first visit. It was Boyfriend, Work Friend and their girlfriends. (aka me and "J"). I cannot stand it when the food at a place is wonderful but the service is awful enough to ruin your entire night.

Now I am a former waitress (J worked in the industry as well) so a waiter needs to make a lot of fuck ups in order to lose a tip from me and actually annoy me. I let just about anything go! Wrong drink, no problem just a few minutes to get another one, you decided to only bring 2 people's food? We'll just wait.

But this place was beyong horrible. We were all starving and looking forward to ordering a million things off the menu and passing them around. That and the pitcher of delicious sangria *should* have made any service indiscretion barely noticable. But not if you're being served by "the worst waiter ever"

I shouldn't even say waiter, I should say bartender, because we were at the bar. originally at one of those little bar tables, but after 15 minutes with no one coming by to see us, we moved ourselves up to the 95% empty bar. Thats when "Jose" began his personal jihad against a tip from us.

"What do you want"- not a great way to approach a table. Also, when we tell you what we want for drinks and first course salads making a comment about the fat content of one of the salads that Boyfriend's sort of chubby friend ordered wont win you any points.

If you spill sangria all over the table in front of us, please wip it up. Dont take a bar rag, throw it at us, and grunt.

We all ordered a salad course. Each of us, we wanted them together. Its OK that you didn't bring one, if you would acknowledge the fact that it was on the way. When asked about the other salad please don;t be shocked that we might be waiting for our friend to begin eating, or that everyone wanted them at the same time.

Also, don't make comments about our appearance and clothing. No one cares if you think my boots are ill fiting or if J's sweater is the ugliest thing.

So, in closing. Crappy waiter at Jaleo, you suck. We wont be back. We loved the food, but the very possibility that we'll have to see you again ruins it for us.

4 Comments:

Blogger josh said...

a couple weeks ago i was at this place with my girlfriend, and the waitress came up and asked us "what are you drinking?" in a mundane, uninterested, almost angry tone.

the answer of course was nothing, cuz we've been sitting here waiting for you.

9:22 AM  
Blogger ESQ-JD said...

Great blog for 1st - yrs. I'm not sure where I found it...probalby some search somewhere or from someone else's blog. Once I find a good one, I add it to my links auto. Hope the yr. ends well for your.

6:58 PM  
Blogger The Errant Cook said...

OMG

Don't you hate that??? Good food, crappy service. And what do you remember for years to come? The crappy service.

2:38 PM  
Blogger ptlawstudent said...

Sorry you had such a crappy time at Jaleos. Their tapas are really good and I've had several great dinners there. They do have good sangria. But there is better sangria in DC and the surrounding area.

I suggest trying Habana Village in Adams Morgan. Great Cuban food. Good sangria, but really you should have the mojitos there. Hmmm! Yum!

Hope you get a better night out next time!

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
/body>