Monday, June 05, 2006

Backyard Showdown: FirstYea v. Sod



Sigh... I don't want to own up to the fact that I am loosing a battle with grass, but I believe that I am.

You see when we moved in here, the yard was a wreck and I was told not to worry.... we would have grass, the condo association would pay for it, or we would get a contractor. I breathed a sigh of relief and waited. However.... it is now June and when I go out to tend to my veggies and flowers what do I see? Oh.... a bare lawn with weeds everywhere :(



Now...those were taken at the end of April....the only difference now is that there are weeds (mainly the prickly kind) where some of the bare spots are and the 4 pieces of grass that were there before are now like a foot tall. This just aggrivates me so badly, the beds along the perimeter of the yard so pretty, full of growing veggies and lush flowers and vines. The center area....looks nasty.

So....first I tried to fight with the condo association, no luck there of course. Now.... I am getting estimates. Now... I have a pretty small yard, (less then 600 sq. ft.) and the estimates I am getting are not even half way affordable. So.... we may do it ourselves....but I don't have the time. If I have to look at that during our BBQs and out of my office windows I think I will just cry.

I hate you backyard.

In other news...my peas are here and they are delicous...too bad they had to look at that ugly ass dead weed lawn while they were growing, I wouldn't want MY home to look like that!

FY-

2 Comments:

Blogger Nut's mom said...

uhhh... don't feel bad. everything my spouse touches dies. and it's waaaaaaaaaaaay to poluted here to grow ANYTHING!!!

10:09 PM  
Blogger LawNut said...

boo! I hate grass troubles! Hubby and I had some ugly patches on our front lawn towards the beginning of the spring, and we were able to take care of it relatively cheaply. We got regular grass seed at Home Depot (less than $10 a bag), tilled the ground (in your case you might need something a little bigger than a hand tool), and sprinkled the seed on the tilled soil. Then we watered every day. Now the problem is solved; but since you're part of a condo association, why are they being so difficult?? You would think they would want a lovely grass bed! Good luck, FY!!! - or, more appropriately, Second Year now!! ;-)

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
/body>