Monday, October 30, 2006

I'm Back :)

Well I have been MIA lately… first I was travel a little and then it was the weekend. But I am back with another work week, which of course will bring more adventures. Since there are a few things I wanted to write about I think I will do so, list style. I hope everyone had a great weekend.

1. Things that DON’T belong on the roads during rush hour-

Farm equipment. That’s right, huge slow moving farm equipment about 1 mile from the DC and Northern Virginia line heading into the city. While this piece of equipment annoyed me because it caused a huge delay, as it was so large it took up 2 lanes and was moving at about 5 miles per hour with no way to pass it and still be able to take the lanes I wanted to take. But, it did give me time to reflect, mainly on what the fuck a piece of huge ass farm equipment was doing in DC? Is there a huge farm there I am missing? Is rush hour the right time to move big dirty farm equipment? Is the person driving the equipment simply a crazy farmer who has gone wild and is now gallivanting in his favorite piece of farm equipment and felt that rush hour traffic would be more exciting? Lesson: Don’t drive big, cumbersome and slow vehicles (and I use the term loosely) on the highway in rush hour traffic.

2. People at work you should NOT piss off:

The admin staff! People at the DC office are so freaking lazy they have someone here to do everything for you. File admin, copy admin, binding admin, errand admin, etc. It doesn’t end they all do something different. Most of them are friendly people and if you just treat them as if you would treat anyone else in the office and say “please” and “thank you” things will go fine. What you should not do it fling a stack of papers at the copy admin, glare at her and tell her those better be done before you haul your fat ass off to lunch or else her she’ll be looking for another job.

Did you not notice she’s like 17 years old? Didn’t you think that screaming at her (before she even had the chance to fuck up your copies) would make her burst into tears, rattle her nerves and also make it that much more likely she will be so unnerved that she’ll make a mistake? No, you didn’t. Nor did you think about the fact that all the copy admins talk amongst themselves, and she would tell them all what a piece of shit you are. Well, she did and now when they make their rounds twice a day to check to see if anyone needs something done (aren’t they so nice?) you get mysteriously skipped and also have to hoist yourself off of your chair and go down to the copy room yourself. Lesson: Do not fuck with the admins!

3. Racist Sentiments you SHOULD keep to yourself:

I realized I was not in northern Virginia anymore on a short little business trip to the heart of the bible belt last week. I realized my faux pas and suggesting a restaurant when I was told, “Na, we can’t go there that’s where the Negroes eat. If we go to xxxxxx it’ll be whites only.” I wondered how it was possible in the days of non-segregation and black people and white people drinking out the same fountains and sitting next to each other on the metros and buses to have a white restaurant and a black restaurant. (un) Fortunately I was shown how.

We went into this rather expensive place and the only black people to be seen were some people in the kitchen. Seriously not a black person eating in sight! And this just makes me wonder what it is about eating with people of a different color in the same room with you that is so offensive to these people? Are they worried that they’ll catch black? Because you can’t catch it, it’s a skin pigment thing. I guess being the Yankee that I am I don’t possess the deep seated hatred for people who look a bit different then me that some deep southerners have. But really….isn’t it about time to give that up? Black people are everywhere. They go to my law school, they work in my office, they ride cars on the same highways as me, and one even :::gasp:::: lives next door to me. So what’s the issue? And anyhow, I think black people have gotten it long enough…they could at least spice up their racism and pick a new group….no? Lesson: Try eating in the same place a “colored” and see what happens, I bet its nothing!

Well. I will leave you with that bit of randomness. I hate to sound cliché…..but Monday does really suck.

First Year-

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh thank god you're back! Last week just felt incomplete.

"That's where the negroes eat?" Seriously? That was said? Wow.

I will say this though. There was this BBQ place near where I used to live here (Brothers' BBQ) in the Western Addition. I have to admit I was a little afraid of the place because I only saw black people in and around the place. I wasn't afraid of them, I was afraid of getting heckled I guess, as in "what's a cracker doing in a ribs joint?" That and some of them were thugish looking. And it was next store to a cannabis club. I eventually did it. Best BBQ chicken in the neighborhood. Kicked myself for ever having second thoughts about it.

3:08 PM  
Blogger she said: said...

Being from California I was shocked when - a long while ago -I lived in Texass (not a mis-spell) for a few months, and found in some areas they still bury the dead in separate cemeteries. WTF?

4:14 PM  
Blogger Evil HR Lady said...

Welcome back! Sounds like an "interesting" experience.

6:04 AM  
Blogger josh said...

and that's why i left the south after only one year...

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
/body>