Monday, July 02, 2007

Learn To Merge!

Fellow DC area drivers,

I have noticed that we seem to be having some type of problem, relating to "merging" unto highways. What happens is this....some cars are already driving *on* the highway, they are travelling at a high speed, usually 60-80 mph and there are other cars who are driving on an "entrance ramp" and attempting to get *unto* the highway. The right thing to do would be for the people on the entrance ramp is to attempt to get themselves up to highway speeds, find an opening in traffic and get unto the highway without forcing others to slam their breaks. The drivers *on* the highway and in the lane to be merged have been warned about the merge via signage, and they should try to space themselves in such a way that other cars are able to join the highway.

However, that is not what is happening a lot of the time. So for you, "challenged" drivers I offer the following advice of what NOT to do....

1. When entering the highway do not refuse to go over 20 mph. That is a dangerously slow speed of travel when entering the highway, the other cars are going 60 mph (at least) and by entering the highway at 20 you may cause an acident, not only for you but for all the people trapped behind you.

2. If you're driving on the highway and you don't want someone to merge in front of you, might I suggest getting into a different lane? Because those cars on the entrance ramp ARE going to be merging on the highway.

3. If you have relegated yourself to the lane that will be merged with, please refrain from driving directly next to cars from the entrance ramp...you know the game where you slow down when they slow down and speed up when they speed up, in what seems to be some type of passive aggressive show.

Come on guys, I believe in you, you can do this.... to review: Speed up when entering the highway, space yourselves for a smooth merge, if you don't want to let cars in please move to another lane.

Love,

First Year

PS.....Jenny.... I had no idea I was quoted in the Washington Post....care to pass the info on?

5 Comments:

Blogger I-66 said...

I am almost always at or above highway speed when I hit the merge area, and I'm looking for my hole as soon as I get a glimpse of the lane so I know where I'm going well ahead of time. I hate it when people carry on at side road speeds as if they've forgotten that there is generally at least a 10 mph bump when they hit the highway.

7:39 AM  
Blogger she said: said...

When you get done teaching people how to merge, come to my place and teach people how to 4 way stop.

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi There,

Jenny here. I tried to find an archive of your quote in the Post but, no luck. It was in the Washington Post Express (ie: the free watered down Washington Post) on the day I commented on our post (was that June 22??). Maybe you want to hound them for a copy???

http://www.readexpress.com

I am back from a week of my fiance's family reunion in which I tried to show off by volunteering to cook one night for 24 people... dumb, I know. I'm exhausted and cranky... I'm sure you can sympathize!

Best of luck!

Jenny... a very tired bride...

6:28 PM  
Blogger josh said...

i agree this would all be nice (people where i am can't drive at all either), but technically when push comes to shove the people on the highway already do have the right of way and the people on the ramp need to suck it up until there's a big enough lag in traffic to enter the highway.

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your blog....stumbled on it while mentally preparing for law school to start in a month.....that being said, perhaps you have already encountered a dilemma I have. I know that 1L's are prohibited from discussing employment until after Dec. 1st, but my current boss wants to introduce me to some attornies in our field. Can I talk to them to network without providing a resume or discussing possible summer employment (which, ostensibly, is why I AM actually talking with them)?

Thanks - jmoe1229@hotmail.com

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
/body>